The mission of Historic Huguenot Street (HHS) is to collect, preserve and share with the public an inspiring story of an American community as it evolved from the 17th century to the present day.
In 1894, descendants of the twelve original New Paltz Patentees established the Huguenot Patriotic, Historical and Monument Society. Five years later, they purchased the Jean Hasbrouck House to their ancestral relics and displays of colonial life. Artifacts and papers were collected over the years, but it was not until the 1950s that the Society began a sizeable expansion.
Kenneth Hasbrouck, the director at the time, traveled around the country, meeting with family descendants, encouraging them to support his vision of a street of stone house preserved in their original village setting, to create their own affiliated family associations and establish HHS as a major genealogical and historical repository. He also worked with these family associations to assist in the purchase of, and continued maintenance of, their ancestral homes. The Freer House, the first such purchase, was acquired in 1955.